Every year community members and visitors celebrate Australia Day across Murrindindi Shire with nine different events taking place, coordinated by dedicated and hard working community groups.
Ambassadors also attend some of the events as part of the Australia Day Ambassador Program.
At the Australia Day celebrations three awards are presented to members of the community. Recipients receive these awards in recognition of their inspiring volunteering in Murrindindi Shire.
The Awards are:
- Murrindindi Shire Citizen of the Year
- Murrindindi Shire Young Citizen of the Year
- Murrindindi Shire Senior Citizen of the Year
Nominations can be submitted via the online Nomination Form, by downloading a nomination form here(PDF, 44KB), or picking up a form from any Council Office or by phoning Council on 5772 0333. Nominations close at 5pm on Friday 14 December 2018.
The Awards are provided by the Australia Day Committee (Victoria) and are administered by Local Government Authorities throughout Australia on behalf of the Committee.
How to compile a nomination:
- Read the criteria and eligibility section
- Written submissions should be between 500 and 2,000 words
Nominations must be on an official nomination form including:
- Personal details of nominee
- Listed details of the contribution(s) they have made to the community
- The period of time they have made contributions to the community
- Other personal achievements and awards
- Past membership of community, sporting, professional organisations and clubs etc.
- Any other background and relevant information
Further information can be obtained from the Executive Assistant on (03) 5772 0337 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australia Day Awards are presented annually to local citizens or groups who have made an outstanding contribution and been a role model to their community, as well as demonstrating excellence in their achievements.
Murrindindi Shire Citizen of the Year
Murrindindi Shire Young Citizen of the Year
- To be eligible, the person must be under 25 years of age on 26 January 2019
Murrindindi Shire Senior Citizen of the Year
- To be eligible, the person must be 60 years or older on 26 January 2019
In the absence of nominations from members of the public, the selection panel may make its own nominations based on local knowledge, experience and/or previous nominations.
Previous unsuccessful nominations may be resubmitted, providing they are updated and entered on the required form.
Presentation of the awards will be made at celebrations held on Australia Day.
The Murrindindi Shire Council must receive all entries no later than 5pm on Friday 14 December 2018.
All nomination information and material submitted remains the property of the Murrindindi Shire Council. The decision of the Murrindindi Australia Day Awards Selection Panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into in respect of that decision.
Nomination information may be used for publicity and historical purposes.
To find out who received the 2018 Murrindindi Shire Australia Day Awards, click here.
The list of the past Award recipients can be found here(DOC, 37KB) .