Alexandra Railway Precinct Masterplan
A Master Plan is being prepared for the Alexandra Railway Precinct to ensure that the community and visitors to the area experience the greatest benefit from this public land close to the Alexandra town centre. The idea for a Master Plan was initiated by the Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum and the project now includes all local groups that operate from and adjacent to the Precinct.
The development of a Master Plan will:
- Provide for better integration and linking of users, activities and resources between the clubs and groups that operate from the precinct.
- Support and grow the recreational and tourism potential at the precinct, including the linking of the precinct to the Alexandra town centre.
- Provide the framework to investigate land tenure issues and identify options for the future use and operation of the precinct.
The Alexandra Railway Precinct includes land surrounding the former Alexandra Railway Station, currently home to the Alexandra Timber Tramway Museum, the Eildon and District Lapidary (gemstones) Club, the Alexandra Community Shed and the Great Victorian Rail Trail. The Alexandra Racecourse, Golf Course and Leckie Park also adjoin this land and contribute to its recreational and tourism appeal.
View map of Railway Precinct area(PDF, 218KB)
Murrindindi Shire Council is managing this project with funds provided by:
- State Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.
- Regional Development Victoria.
- Murrindindi Shire Council (under the Advancing Country Towns Project).
- Lions Club of Alexandra.
- Alexandra Timber Tramway Museum (ATTM).
Project partners Geografia and SJB Urban have been engaged to assist in the Master Plan's development.
It’s anticipated that the Master Plan will provide a short term (one-year), medium and long-term (30+ year) vision for the Precinct, which will contain proposed actions to improve connections and enhance the Precinct.
The Master Plan is expected to be completed in 2016. It will assist in attracting funds for capital works and investment programs over the short and longer term for the future development of the Precinct.
A community consultation forum was held on Thursday 3 December 2015 allowing residents and visitors to have input into the development of the Master Plan.
Additionally a survey was conducted September 2015 inviting ideas from the community about ways the precinct could be improved to grow tourism and recreation in the area.
A wide range of feedback was submitted and used to to shape initial ideas for the future of the site.
An initial report detailing options for the land use can be downloaded below in two parts:
Council then invited members of the community to provide feedback and comments on the initial Land Use Report. The feedback provided will be used to help shape the final Master Plan.
For inquiries please contact Michelle Jack at Council on 5772 0333.