Residents living in un-sewered areas can treat and dispose of their wastewater to land through the installation of a septic system. A septic system consists of a structurally sound, watertight tank that treats sewerage and liquid wastes as well as a series of soil absorption and/or transpiration trenches.
A permit is required to install a septic tank. Here is a simple checklist of what you need to submit to Council:
- A completed septic tank application form(PDF, 1MB). If you require assistance with your application please refer to this information sheet(PDF, 133KB)
- The relevant fee - $540.00 residential installation / $300.00 residential alteration / $540.00 commercial.
- A land capability assessment (where applicable)
- Plans showing details of the proposed septic system as well building locations.
- Details of the licensed plumber you intend to use.
If you require an extension to your septic tank permit, please complete the septic tank extension request form(PDF, 86KB). A fee of $150.00 is required to process your request.
For further inquiries please contact Council’s Building Unit on 5772 0370.