Temporary Planning Provisions

Following the 2009 bushfires, a simplified planning process called the Temporary Planning Provisions was developed to support the rebuilding of dwellings, dependent persons’ units and buildings used for agriculture damaged or destroyed. 

This meant landowners only required Council’s endorsement of their site plans to obtain a planning consent to rebuild rather than the standard planning permit process. Some landowners were also permitted to continue staying in temporary accommodation, such as caravans or sheds until their dwelling was rebuilt.

The closing date for the Temporary Planning Provisions is 30 September 2017. The closing date for Temporary Accommodation is 30 September 2018. (Links to the relevant forms can be found below on this page)

Council is holding drop-in sessions for landowners affected by the TPPs. No bookings are required and landowners can arrive at any time during these hours.

Council has an information sheet available  about these sessions (see image below) – or click here(PDF, 294KB) to print.

TPP - trimmed flier for website.JPG

Landowners intending to rebuild need to act quickly if they:

  • Have not applied for a planning consent
  • Have an expired planning consent, or
  • Have a current planning consent but have not obtained a building permit and / or an occupancy permit or a certificate of occupancy.

Landowners do not need to act if they have received:

  • An occupancy permit, or
  • A building permit for non-habitable development such as garages/ sheds and don’t need an occupancy permit, or
  • A certificate of final inspection for outbuildings.

Approved planning consent allows two years to start building and then another two years to complete the work.

More detailed information and links to various application forms are below:
Planning consent application form (for bushfire affected properties)
Septic Tank permit application form 
Building permit application form
Extension request form for planning consents
Extension request form for building permits
Extension requests form for Septic tank permits 
Planning information sheet, how to obtain a title

Useful State Government department links:
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/bushfire-protection/bushfire-protection-and-my-property
Country Fire Authority http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/building-planning-regulations/