Travel permits for bushfire preparedness

Residents of metropolitan Melbourne (and lockdown areas in regional Victoria) who own properties in regional Victoria can seek written approval for a travel exemption to undertake bushfire preparedness activities from Monday 11 October. If you are the listed owner of a property located in Murrindindi Shire, you can apply for permit by clicking on the link below. Please allow two working days for applications to be processed. 

Apply for a permit

Frequently asked questions

Click here(PDF, 481KB) to download the FAQs put together by the Victorian Government. We've also listed some of the most common questions below. 

Who can travel within Victoria to undertake works on a property before or after an emergency?

The owner of the property and their immediate household members, or if the owner is unable to travel, a nominated representative.

Do property owners need to undertake the preparedness works themselves?

No, it is at the discretion of the owner whether they do the works themselves, request a nominated representative to do the work, or engage a contractor. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.

Can property owners or the nominated representatives attend shops for supplies to undertake the preparation (e.g. tools)? 

When travelling any person must comply with the restrictions in the place of their primary residence, i.e. the restrictions travel with you. 

They should travel with the tools and equipment they need. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.

Can property owners engage a contractor from metropolitan Melbourne to do the works?

Yes, if the works are covered under ‘permitted work’ within the metropolitan Melbourne directions set by the Chief Health Officer.

How long can the owner remain at their property?

For a maximum of 72 hours. This can be extended by 24 hours at the discretion of the council where the owner is required to travel large distances to attend the property.

Can an owner or the nominated representative attend their property multiple times to undertake preparedness works?

Yes, if required the owner can apply for additional permits.

How do I apply for a permit from Council?

Click here to apply. If you have any questions in regards to your application, please contact Council on 5772 0333.