Nominations are now open for Australia Day 2020.
Every year community members and visitors celebrate Australia Day across Murrindindi Shire, coordinated by dedicated and hard working community groups.
Ambassadors also attend some of the events as part of the Australia Day Ambassador Program.
At the Australia Day celebrations three awards are presented to members of the community. Recipients receive these awards in recognition of their inspiring volunteering in Murrindindi Shire.
The Awards are:
- Murrindindi Shire Citizen of the Year
- Murrindindi Shire Young Citizen of the Year
- Murrindindi Shire Senior Citizen of the Year
Nominations can be submitted via the online Nomination Form or by downloading a nomination form here(PDF, 68KB). Alternatively, you can pick up a form from any Council Office or by phoning Council on 5772 0333.
Nominations close at 5pm on Friday 3 January 2020.
The Awards are provided by the Australia Day Committee (Victoria) and are administered by Local Government Authorities throughout Australia on behalf of the Committee.
How to compile a nomination:
- Read the criteria and eligibility section
- Write a submission between 500 and 2000 words
Nominations must be on an official nomination form including:
- Personal details of nominee
- Details of the contribution(s) they have made to the community and when
- Other personal achievements and awards
- Details of any memberships for community, sporting, professional organisations and clubs etc.
- Any other background and relevant information
Further information can be obtained by calling Council on (03) 5772 0333 or via email at email@example.com
The list of the past Award recipients can be found here(DOCX, 20KB).
The Murrindindi Shire Australia Day awards recognise Murrindindi residents who have shown outstanding community spirit, a willingness to help others, concern for the environment or outstanding participation in sport, arts or cultural endeavours.
Murrindindi Shire Citizen of the Year
Murrindindi Shire Young Citizen of the Year
- To be eligible, the person must be under 25 years of age on 26 January 2020
Murrindindi Shire Senior Citizen of the Year
- To be eligible, the person must be 65 years or older on 26 January 2020
In the absence of nominations from members of the public, the selection panel may make its own nominations based on local knowledge, experience and/or previous nominations.
Previous unsuccessful nominations may be resubmitted, providing they are updated and entered on the required form.
Presentation of the awards will be made at celebrations held on Australia Day.
The Murrindindi Shire Council must receive all entries no later than 5pm on Friday 3 January 2020.
All nomination information and material submitted remains the property of the Murrindindi Shire Council. The decision of the Murrindindi Australia Day Awards Selection Panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into in respect of that decision.
Nomination information may be used for publicity and historical purposes.