Financial support resources

The following financial support is available for individuals, businesses, and the agricultural industry:  

Individuals - Payments and Financial Support

Emergency Relief Payment and Re-establishment assistance

The Department of Families, Fairness, and Housing is allocating financial support through the Personal Hardship Assistance Program. Please note that online applications are no longer being processed but individual applications can still be made by calling the VicEmergency line on 1800 226 226 

  • Emergency Relief Payments – emergency relief payments are no longer available for this event. If you have been impacted by an emergency or natural disaster, you have urgent relief needs and you need to apply for an emergency relief payment for emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication or accommodation, you can call VicEmergency on 1800 226 226 or contact Murrindindi Shire Council by calling (03) 5772 0333. 
  • Re-establishment Assistance – You can apply for financial help to return home to your principal place of residence if you cannot live in your home because it is damaged or destroyed, or if you cannot access your home for more than 7 days due to flooding. You may be eligible if you do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance and are experiencing financial hardship.

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is a short-term payment to the maximum equivalent rate of JobSeeker or Youth Allowance to help if you have lost income due to the Victorian floods that started on 6 October 2022. You may be eligible to receive taxable payments for up to 13 weeks after the date you started losing income. You must make a claim before 28 May 2023.  


Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) supports people who have suffered a significant loss due to the Victorian floods that started on 6 October 2022. You may be eligible for up to $1,000 if you have suffered a serious injury, the flood caused major damage to your home or a major asset at your home, amongst other criteria. You must make a claim before 16 June 2023. Follow up on a claim by calling Services Australia on 180 22 66. 


Financial Counselling with the National Debt Helpline

The National Debt Helpline offers a free, confidential, and independent financial counselling service for people who may be experiencing financial difficulty. A financial counsellor can provide free advice to help you explore your options, put sustainable plans in place, learn how to best negotiate challenging conversations, and get your finances back under control.  Call 1800 007 007 on Monday – Friday between 9:30 am – 4:30 pm or chat online on Monday – Friday between 9.00 am – 8.00 pm.  



Business support – Grants

Victorian Small Business and Not-For-Profit Flood Recovery Concessional Loans

Small businesses and not-for-profit organisations in the Murrindindi Shire directly impacted by the Victorian Floods commencing in October 2022 may be eligible to apply for a concessional loan of up to $250,000.  The concessional loans are administered by Rural Finance and are available for those who have suffered significant damage to their assets and/or significant loss of income.  If you are only claiming significant loss of income, the maximum loan amount received will be $100,000.  Applications close on 25 May 2023.  



Agriculture support – Grants

Agriculture Victoria (AgVic)

Agriculture Victoria (AgVic) provides assistance to primary producers, farmers, and rural landholders impacted by floods, including animal welfare issues resulting from floods and agricultural impact assessments. 
Anyone with urgent animal welfare issues should contact AgVic by calling 136 186 on Monday – Friday between 8.00 am – 6.00 pm.  AgVic is recommending that farmers ensure their Property Identification Codes (PIC) details are up to date as this will assist them to receive important information relating to emergency relief and recovery activities within an impacted zone. 


Victorian Flood Recovery Package

The Victorian Flood Recovery Package from Rural Finance offers four different grants, subsidies, and concessional loans for primary producers and rural landholders. Find out more visiting Rural Finance, calling 1800 260 425 on Monday – Friday between 8:30 am – 5.00 pm, or emailing  


Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Grant

Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery grants are available for eligible primary producers in the Murrindindi Shire directly affected by the Victorian Floods. The grants offer up to $75,000 via a two-tiered program structure to assist in the clean up of their properties and reestablishment of their businesses. This grant replaces the $10,000 Primary Producer Clean-Up and Relief Grant. Applications that have already been submitted for the Primary Producer Clean-Up and Relief Grant will continue to be processed.  


Victorian Rural Landholder Grant

Victorian Rural Landholder grants provide eligible primary producers in the Murrindindi Shire with up to $25,000 to clean up and recover after the Victorian Floods via a two-tiered program structure. These grants support those with smaller-scale primary production enterprises that do not qualify for the Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Grant.  


Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Transport Support Program

The Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Transport Support Program supports eligible primary producers in the Murrindindi Shire to claim back 50% of transport costs up to a total amount of $15,000. This program is designed for primary producers who own stock and require transport of emergency fodder or stock drinking water, as well as moving stock for agistment, sale, or slaughter.  


Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Concessional Loans

Victorian Primary Producer Flood Recovery Concessional Loans are available for eligible primary producers in the Murrindindi Shire whose properties have been directly impacted by the Victorian Floods. Concessional loans of up to $250,000 are for resorting or replacing damaged assets and meeting general expenses incurred while clean up is underway.  



Business and Agricultural Advisory and Support Services

AgBiz Assist - Rural Financial Counselling Service

Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) Victoria – North East offers free and confidential financial counselling services for primary producers and small businesses. Rural Financial Counsellors (RFCs) understand farming and business, having the qualifications and experience to counsel those who are in, or at risk of, financial hardship. Contact 1300 834 775 or email  


AgBiz Assist - Small Biz

Assist Small Biz provide free support to regional and rural small businesses that have been impacted by natural disaster and economic downturn. They can offer grant support and business and financial planning services to support your business to recover. Contact 1300 032 332 or visit the AgBiz Assist website. 



Small Business Debt Helpline

National support line staffed by specialist small business financial counsellors – immediate assistance and referral for ongoing support. Call 1800 413 828 or visit for an online chat between 9.00 am – 5.30 pm, weekdays. Please note they can assist you with applying for flood relief grants. 



RuralAid offers counselling services to farmers and their families. They can also assist with needs including fodder, domestic water and financial assistance.  Contact 1300 327 624 or visit for more information.  


RuralAid – Farm Army

RuralAid – Farm Army site provides a platform for farmers who are seeking assistance to gain assistance with jobs. Farmers can advertise the jobs for paid or volunteer assistance in areas like farm labourer, fencing and more. For more information visit


Partners in Wellbeing

Partners in Wellbeing provides free and confidential support for sole traders, small business owners, and their employees.  This service can provide personal support to improve wellbeing, financial counselling to manage debts and regain control of your finances, and business advice to develop business plans for the future. Call 1300 375 330 on Monday – Friday between 9.00am – 10.00pm or Saturday – Sunday between 9.00 am – 5.00 pm. 


Partners in Recovery

Partners in Recovery has a dedicated COVID and Storm Recovery Program Provider for the Murrindindi, Yarra Ranges and Cardinia Shires: 

Christabel Sibanda, Mental Health Clinician / Consultant.

Call: 0459 465 011