Waterways recovery across Murrindindi Shire


Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GBCMA) has received some limited funding to start more urgent works and activities needed to protect waterways and risks to public assets. With drier conditions occurring, and improved streamside access, GBCMA is now able to focus on:

  • waterways or streamside fence repair
  • addressing significant debris blockage
  • erosion and sediment management
  • revegetation and weed control

At the same time, GBCMA is also continuing to assess flood affected waterways and this is expected to continue for at least the next six months. Information gathered from these assessments will contribute to a multi-year flood recovery program planned to commence in mid-2023. State Government funding is currently being sought for this program.

The key flood recovery activities occurring in Murrindindi Shire in early 2023 are:

  • Continuing site inspections, prioritising the most impacted areas
  • Removal/realignment of large fallen trees and debris blockages in the Acheron River around Buxton and Taggerty, as well as King Parrot and Strath Creeks near Flowerdale (commencing in February)
  • Streamside fence replacement works with landholders, particularly on the Goulburn River. This fencing provides importance protection from stock as streamside zones recover from floods and it encourages natural recruitment and germination of native plant species – vital for water quality and bank stability.

GBCMA is keen to hear from landholders who may have damaged or lost streamside fencing, so we can discuss how the CMA can assist.

The spread and emergence of weeds species along stream frontages is another common impact of flood events. GBCMA can assist landholders to manage these weed infestations.

Please contact a member of the River Health team at Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GBCMA) on (03) 5822 7700 or email: reception@gbcma.vic.gov.au if you would like to find out more about funding support for stream frontage fencing or weed control.

Works on Waterways Permits (for private works and assets)

Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GBCMA) does not have a role in assessing or remediating flood impacts to private assets.

However, landholders may wish to undertake works to address non-emergency flood-related damage to private property or assets on a waterway (e.g., pump sheds or private access crossings). To do this, landholders need to apply for, and be issued with, a Works on Waterways Permit.

The form is available from the opening page of www.gbcma.vic.gov.au and selecting Works on Waterways Permits

For Works on Waterways permit applications that are directly related to flood damage that occurred during the October 2022 flood, the normal application fee is being waived.