Weed Management

Weeds are a problem on both private and public land. They cost the community millions of dollars each year in lost productivity and have a significant impact on our natural environment.  

Everyone has a legal role to play in managing weeds on their land irrespective of whether that land is public or private.

A large number of plants in the Murrindindi Shire are declared as weeds under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994  and are seen as a major problem due to their ability to compete with native plants, crop plants and pasture. Some can even poison stock and humans and contaminate agricultural produce. 

Click here(PDF, 116KB) to download the 2020 Roadside Weed Control Program

There are three levels of noxious weeds in our shire; each with its own requirements for landholders:

  • State prohibited weeds – Department of Environment and Primary Industries are responsible for the eradication of these weeds on all lands.
  • Regionally prohibited – The relevant landowner, lessee or management authority is responsible for the eradication of these weeds except on roadsides.
  • Regionally controlled – The relevant landowner, lessee or management authority is responsible for prevention of growth and spread of these weeds on their land.

Active control of declared weeds can include manual pulling, spraying, mechanical removal and livestock grazing. Another prevention strategy is to think twice about what you plant in your garden, and find out whether your garden species are invasive plants.

A publication by the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GBCMA) called Weeds of the Goulburn Broken - A field guide to the terrestrial and aquatic weeds can assist with identifying weeds on your property, and understand what your legal requirements are in managing them.

The following brochure is a great resource for identifying invasive weeds that may be growing in and around your property. Copies of this brochure are also available from all Council offices or contact our Environmental Programs Unit on 5772 0702:

Insert weed form that is on current website

Weeds of Murrindindi App

As part of an intensive post fire weed control program conducted on public land, an application was developed for iPhone and iPad to assist scientists, land managers and the general public to identify and locate weeds within the fire affected area.

The weeds listed in this free app are those representing the highest overall environmental risk, as identified by the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) and Parks Victoria. This app provides the community with important information on weed identification and control.

Download the Weeds of Murrindindi app from the Apple iTunes store.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning also provides a range of useful information regarding weed management.

How can YOU help us?

You can help manage the spread of weeds by controlling and or avoiding planting invasive plants in your garden, and ensure you dispose of waste plant material in a safe and secure manner.

When gardening, notice whether or not weed seeds are present in your garden waste. If seeds are present you can:

•    Drown them by placing seeds in a 44 gallon drum (creating weed tea).
•    Solarise them by placing them in a plastic bag and laying them in the sun.
•    Deposit them in a designated location in your garden that you actively manage through spraying and hand-pulling.

Managing weeds in your garden and/or property through appropriate and regular weed control techniques such as spraying, slashing, grazing or manual pulling is also an important eradication strategy. You can also join an environmental group to support projects that improve your local environment. Further information is available from the Sustainability - in the Community webpage.

How can WE help you?

Council is required under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 to manage regionally prohibited and controlled weeds on municipal roadsides. Council has over 2,000km of roadside reserves (when considering both left-hand and right-hand sides) to control.

It would be unrealistic to expect Council to control all declared weeds on every municipal roadside within available resources, therefore Council has developed a program based around priorities. View Council's Roadside Weed and Pest Animal Plan(PDF, 1015KB).

Pest Animal Management

The Victorian Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 classify pest animals in accordance to their threat to agriculture and the environment. Those that are declared as ‘Prohibited’, ‘Controlled’ or ‘Regulated’ may be considered ‘high-risk invasive animals’.

The Department of Environment and Primary Industries takes the lead to control these animals, while land owners have a responsibility to control those declared as ‘Established’ invasive animals.

Further information on why pest animals should be managed, who is responsible and where to begin can be found at the following page of the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources website.

New invasive species management legislation

The Department of Environment and Primary Industries has developed new legislation to replace the noxious weeds and pest animal provisions of the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994.

A key part of the reform relates to clarifying roles and responsibilities for roadside weed and pest animal management. Further information can be found at the following page of the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning webpage.