Food premises regulations

Food premises - Permanent

When planning to operate a food premises, consideration should be given to:

  • The design and construction of the premise - it must be appropriate for the purpose for which it is to be used, allow effective cleaning, exclude fumes, smoke and other contaminates, and not permit the entry of pests.
  • Water supply
  • Sewerage and waste water
  • Garbage and recycling
  • Ventilation
  • Lighting
  • Storage
  • Toilet facilities
  • Hand washing facilities

Whether you are purchasing an existing, or establishing a new food premises, there are a number of steps to take.

Premises inspection

Use this form to request an inspection of a food, accommodation or health business. This could be prior to purchase (with written permission from the current proprietor) for example, insurance requirements or part of an external audit.

On receipt of this application and payment of fee, our Environmental Health Officer will arrange a suitable time to inspect the premises to ensure it meets all relevant regulations. We will provide a written assessment of the inspection.

Inspection fee: $151

Click here

Approval of plans

Council offers pre-registration review of premises plans. Contact the Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5772 0333 for further information.

Registering a new premise or purchasing an existing premise

The Food Act 1984 (the Act) regulates the sales of food for human consumption. If your business sells food you must either register with, or notify, the Council in which the Premises is located.

To register a new or existing food premise, complete the form below.

Registration commences on the day the business is approved and expires on 31 December each year. Registration fees are set each year and are based on the risk classification of a business. All relevant fees are set out in the registration form below.

Click here

Current Fee Schedule

Food Safety

All registered food premises that sell unpackaged or refrigerated food must have a food safety plan that shows what steps you and your business are taking to make sure that the food you sell is safe. 

For assistance with developing a Food Safety Plan, visit

Food Safety Supervisor

Registered food premises must have a qualified food safety supervisor who has:

  • A certificate from a registered training organisation.
  • The ability to supervise food handling in the food premises
  • Authority to supervise food handlers and give directions if unsafe food practices are observed 

If training is required, conduct a web search for a local food handling and supervisor training provider.

Food Recalls

In the interest of public health, it is sometimes necessary to remove foods from sale, distribution and consumption if they pose a threat to consumers.

If you feel that you have purchased food that is contaminated or are suffering from food poisoning, please contact Council's Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5772 0333.

Setting Up Your Food Premise

A helpful guide to setting up your food premise can be downloaded here:

     Food Premises Design and Construction Guide(DOCX, 4MB)


Home based kitchen


Food Premises - Temporary/Mobile 

Setting up your food premise

A helpful guide to setting up your mobile food premise can be download below.

Click here

A state-wide registration and notification scheme called Streatrader applies for temporary and mobile food premises under the Food Act 1984 (Vic).

Temporary food premises are temporary stalls or tents from which food is sold. It can be any structure that is not permanently fixed to a site.

Mobile food premises are vehicles such as vans, trailers or carts from which food is sold.

What is Streatrader?

Streatrader is an online system for traders to register and notify temporary and mobile food premises and water transport vehicles in Victoria.

Who is Streatrader for?

Streatrader is for:

  • food businesses and community groups that sell food from a temporary site, such as a stall, van, trailer, community hall or vending machine.
  • private water carters that transport and sell water for drinking.

Why is Streatrader important?

Making and selling food brings certain responsibilities. Food-borne illness can cause illness and even death in vulnerable people.

To protect Victorians, all food businesses or community groups that sell food must comply with food laws, including the Food Act 1984 (Vic).

All food business owners and community groups who sell food are legally responsible to ensure that food sold or prepared for sale is safe to eat and free from any contamination.

The requirements that affect your business or group will depend on the type of food you sell.

To legally operate a temporary or mobile food premises in Victoria, you must:

  1. register or notify your temporary and mobile food premises with one Council in order to operate anywhere in Victoria
  2. lodge a Statement of Trade (SOT) to let all relevant Councils know where and when you will be trading in their districts.

When you apply through Streatrader, your principal council will receive your statewide application and will contact you directly via email.

You can register or notify online here.

For further information, please contact Council's Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5772 0333.

Important Information:

  • It is the responsibility of the food premises operator to obtain necessary permits.
  • Local Law permit(PDF, 193KB) may also be required to operate/trade in a public area such as a park, reserve or footpath. Please contact Council's Local Law Unit on (03) 5772 0333 to discuss your needs