Kerbside Collection Service

Households within township areas of Murrindindi Shire receive a compulsory garbage and recycling collection. For households outside of the townships, a service may be available if the property is on or near a collection route. A commercial bin service is also available for businesses within the Shire. 

How much does my kerbside collection service cost?

Council's kerbside collection service is provided to all properties within township areas that are part of the compulsory garbage and recycling collection zone. The service is also available to some properties outside of township areas, if the property is on or near a collection route.

Property owners who receive this service pay fees as part of their annual rates. These fees are itemised on rate notices. 

The fees for 2023/24 are as follows:

  • Residential Garbage Service - $416.85
  • Residential Recycling Service - $127.45

What size are the bins and how often are they collected?

Kerbside collection services consist of a 120L garbage bin (collected weekly) and a 240L recycling bin (collected fortnightly). The cost of the household kerbside service is recovered as a charge with the rates.


What day are my bins collected?

Garbage bins are collected weekly and recycling is collected fortnightly. To find out when your properties bins are collected, download the collection calendar below.

2023-2025 Calendar(PDF, 569KB) starts July 1 2023

To work out the day of the week your bins are collected, look at the top of the calendar and note the colour. To Identify the fortnightly recycling collection dates, find the coloured square that matches your collection day.

What can I put in my bins?

Wondering what can and can't go in your recycling and garbage bins? Click here(PDF, 4MB) to download a helpful guide. 

Household collection services are intended for household rubbish only and there are practical limits on the capacity of the collection system to handle other wastes. In particular, the recycling plants are only set up to accept household recyclable items such as those generated in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry – not all materials that can be recycled are able to be recycled through the kerbside service.

For example, metal items such as tin cans and bottle caps can be recycled, while mechanical parts and metal poles cannot. In the garbage bin, very heavy items or waste that cannot be compacted in the truck such as renovation waste will cause issues. Bulky items such as those described can be taken to your local Resource Recovery Centre, fees may apply. 

How does commercial kerbside collection work?

Commercial bins are 240L (garbage or recycling) and are charged per collection – if the bins are not put out for collection no charge is applied. Users of this service are invoiced monthly. The commercial service includes garbage bins (240L, weekly) and recycling bins (240L, fortnightly). A nominal yearly hire charge also applies.

Commercial properties located within a compulsory waste charge zone can apply for a waiver of garbage and/or recycling service fees if the compulsory kerbside service is inadequate to the needs of the business and an alternative waste disposal arrangement is in place.

A fee waiver will not be approved under the following situations:

  • A property being vacant.
  • A property not generating enough waste to fill a bin.
  • A property owner or tenant not wanting the service.
  • A property having a waste skip is adequate for a waiver of waste fees but not recycling fees.

The garbage waiver is treated separately to the recycling waiver. A property can apply for a waiver for either or both.

Business owners will need to demonstrate that the Council residential waste service is inadequate and an alternative service has been engaged that provides increased disposal volume for garbage and/or recycling.

Council will credit 75% of the value of your garbage and/or recycling services if the waiver is approved.

For more information, contact Council on
(03) 5772 0333, or complete the relevant form below.

Garbage and/or Recycling Waiver for Commercial Customers

For a printable version of this form, click here

Commercial Waste Service Application

For a printable version of this form, click here

How do I request new or additional kerbside collection services?

The following form should be completed if you need to request a new kerbside waste collection service or add an additional service.

  • Council’s waste collection service provides a 120L bin for a weekly garbage collection ($416.85 per annum) and a 240L bin for a fortnightly recycling collection ($127.45 per annum). Total fees for this service is $544.30 per annum.
  • Fees for the kerbside collection service are collected with the annual property rates. For properties opting-in to the service the owner must give their authorisation for the charges to be applied.
  • Cancellation of a kerbside collection service is only applicable to properties outside the compulsory waste charge zone.
  • The bins are the property of Council and must remain at the address they are provided to. Non-Council bins will not be collected.
  • All damaged and stolen bins must be reported to Council.

You will need the following to complete this application.
  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Authorisation from the Property Owner (if applicable)

Click here

For a printable version of this form, click here

If you require any assistance completing this form, please contact Council on (03) 5772 0333 or via email at

My bin wasn't emptied, what should I do?

If your garbage or recycling bin was not emptied when it should have been, click here to make a request or contact Council on (03) 5772 0333.

How do I request a replacement bin?

Should you require a replacement bin due to damage or theft, click here to make a request or contact Council on (03) 5772 0333.

Can I cancel my kerbside collection?

The kerbside collection service (minimum 1x120L red lid garbage bin and 1x240L yellow lid recycling bin) and associated charges are compulsory for all properties with an occupiable building located within township and low density residential areas. 

Cancellation of garbage or recycling service is only applicable for properties outside the Compulsory Zone or when cancelling your additional services.

Bin Cancellation Request

For a printable version of this form, click here.