Paying your rates

Click here to pay your rates online


When are rates due?

Your rate notice is generally posted out in August/September.

Quarterly instalments must be paid by the following dates:

1st instalment  Extended from 30 September to 15 October 2021
2nd instalment 30 November 2021
3rd instalment 28 February 2022
4th instalment 31 May 2022

To be eligible to pay by instalments, you must pay your first instalment amount by 15 October 2021. You will then receive reminder notices for the rest of the instalment dates.

If paying your rates in full, they are to be paid by 15 February each year.

Part payments can be made at any time as long as your total rates are paid off by 15 February each year.

New payment option - BPAY View

Murrindindi Shire ratepayers can now receive, pay and store rate notices using BPAY View through online banking. Sign up to BPAY View today!

Step 1 - Log into your online banking account.

Step 2 - Look for the BPAY View or View Bills section.

Step 3 - Register to receive your Murrindindi Shire Council rate notices by entering the BPAY Biller Code 21360, followed by your reference number (located under the BPAY logo on your rate notice) and your exact customer name (as it appears on your rate notice).

For more information, visit or give Council’s Rates team a call on 5772 0333.

Direct Debit

Direct Debit payments are now available for payment of your annual rates and charges.

With this option, payments will be deducted directly from your nominated bank account. You will need to complete a Direct Debit Request form(PDF, 536KB) and return to our office.

A number of direct debit options are available, including

  • Fortnightly - deducted on a Thursday (in line with pension paydays - please refer to for more information) 
  • Monthly - deducted on 28th of each month
  • Quarterly - deducted as per the instalment due dates

Your direct debit payment amount will be calculated to ensure that rates and charges are paid in full by 31 May.

Who pays rates?

Everyone who owns ‘rateable’ property pays rates.  Non rateable properties include hospitals, schools and churches.

Why do we pay rates?

Council needs income to pay for services, maintenance and capital works.  It is so we can provide you with services such as libraries, recreational facilities, community buildings, waste services, roads maintenance - all the things that you need/want in your community.

What if I cannot pay my rates?

Please contact Council's Rates Department on (03) 5772 0333 to determine whether payment arrangements can be made.  


Persons holding one of the following eligible pensioner concession cards may be entitled to a rebate from their Council rates:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs

  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card  - War Widow (WW)

  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card -  Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

To apply for a pensioner concession, complete and return an application for concession on municipal rates (PDF, 124KB)prior to 30 June. A copy of your concession card must accompany your application.

Pensioner concession only applies to eligible pensioners who are permanent residents of a property within the Murrindindi Shire. It does not apply to health care card holders.

Further information can be found on the Department of Health and Human Services – Concession website or contact Council’s Rates Unit on (03) 5772 0333.

Municipal Charge Exemption

If a single farm enterprise is conducted on several properties within the Municipality, only one municipal charge is applicable for the principal place of residence. People who qualify must apply for the exemption to Council before 15 February.