Waterways and Farm Dams


The Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (GBCMA) works to improve the health of our waterways and the natural environment of the Goulburn and Broken Rivers.

All works and activities on designated waterways require a permit from the GBCMA such as:

  • Bridges
  • Culverts
  • Fords
  • Service crossings
  • Bed and bank stabilisation
  • Drainage outlets
  • Extraction activities
  • Vegetation management
  • Stream deviations.

Works carried out without a permit are an offence under the Water Act 1989 and can lead to prosecution.

Permit applications, guidelines and maps showing designated waterways can be obtained from the GBCMA office in Yea, ph: (03) 5797 2001.

Farm dams

Works concerning water diversions are the responsibility of Goulburn Murray Water (GMW). A permit from GMW is required to take and use water from any waterway.

All dams used for irrigation or commercial purposes must have a ‘take and use’ licence.

Most dams will need a construction licence.  Large dams will also have conditions on a licence concerning dam safety.

Construction of a dam on your property may require planning permission. Contact council's planning department on 5772 0317.

Further information is available from:

  • Goulburn Murray Water Ph: (03) 5833 5500
  • Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority Ph: (03) 5820 1100