Animal Registration and Ownership
Registering your pets is important for ensuring that they can be easily identified and returned to you in the event that they become lost.
It is mandatory for all dogs and cats being registered for the first time with Murrindindi Shire Council to be microchipped. This regulation also applies to previously registered dogs and cats that move into the Murrindindi Shire from another Shire.
|Animal Registration Fees
|Dog/cat registration with pensioner concession
|* Discounted dog/cat registration
|* Discounted dog/cat registration with pensioner concession
|Restricted breeds/declared animals
|Guide dog registration
|Dog/cat tag replacement fee
* Pet owners are eligible for a discounted registration if their pet is:
- over 10 years of age
- a farm working dog
- part of a domestic animal business or applicable organisation
- has an obedience certificate issued by an approved organisation
- a hound registered with the Game Management Authority
Pensioner discounts are available to people holding a valid concession card. Health care cards are not eligible.
Payment options for registering your pet are outlined on the registration form which is available below.
At what age does my pet have to registered?
Cats and dogs must be registered from 3 months of age.
When is pet registration due?
Pet registration renewals are due on 10 April every year. You will receive a registration renewal form by mail.
How do I register my pet for the first time?
Download and complete an Animal Registration Form(PDF, 51KB) and return it to council along with a copy of your eligible pension concession card, if claiming a concession.
Alternatively you can visit any one of council's offices or phone 5772 0333 to arrange for a registration form to be posted to you.
What if I choose not to register my pet/s?
Failing to register your pet/s will increase the risk of the animal being untraceable if lost. Fines apply for unregistered pets.
Residents living on residential properties require council permission to keep the following animals:
- more than 2 dogs
- more than 2 cats
- more than 10 chickens
- more than 2 ducks, geese, pheasants or turkeys
- more than 2 rabbits
- more than 2 guinea pigs
- more than 2 ferrets
- more than 50 domestic birds
- sheep, goats, horses, or cattle - unless the land is more than 0.5 hectares in size, in which case the number that may be kept without a permit is no more than 2
- a beehive - except on land more than 1 hectare in size
- any pigs, roosters or peacocks.
Residents living on rural properties require council permission to keep the following animals:
- more than 6 dogs
- more than 6 cats.
Note: The above regulations do not apply where a planning permit has been obtained for land used for the purposes of animal boarding or breeding.
Restricted dog breeds and dangerous dogs
Ownership of a restricted dog breed or a dangerous dog requires a permit from Council. Permitted ownership is restricted to 2 dogs in total on any type of land.
Keeping of Pigeons other than those registered with an organisation (i.e. Victorian Racing Pigeon Union; Victorian Homing Association and Victorian Pigeon Racing Association) is not permitted without a permit from council.
All queries with regard to animal ownership should be directed to council's local law department on 5772 0333.
Murrindindi Shire Council's Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 (DAMP)
DAMP was developed to:
- Outline Council's proactive animal management and education strategies
- Increase pet owners' knowledge of responsible pet ownership and enhance community safety and awareness
- Balance pet owners' needs with those of other community members and the environment
- Maximise the number of dogs and cats registered in the Shire
- Help Council reduce the numbers of cats and dogs being euthanased.
To read DAMP 2017-2021, click here(PDF, 626KB) .
Are you wanting to take your dog to a state forest or dedicated dog park in Victoria? Here are a couple of useful links:
Forest Fire Management Victoria - Bring your dog
Victoria Walks - Dog Friendly Walks