Animal Registration and Ownership

Animal Registration

Registering your pet(s) is important for ensuring that they can be easily identified and returned to you in the event they become lost.

It is mandatory for all dogs and cats being registered for the first time with Murrindindi Shire Council to be microchipped. This regulation also applies to previously registered dogs and cats that move into the Murrindindi Shire from another Shire.

Animal Registration Fees

(Pro-rata December 2023 - 9 April 2024)
Amount $
Dog/cat registration  143.00
Dog/cat registration with pensioner concession 71.50
* Discounted dog/cat registration 46.00
* Discounted dog/cat registration with pensioner concession 23.00
Restricted breeds/declared animals 273.00
Guide dog registration 0.00

* Pet owners are eligible for a discounted registration if their pet is:

  • desexed
  • over 10 years of age
  • a farm working dog
  • part of a domestic animal business or applicable organisation
  • has an obedience certificate issued by an approved organisation
  • a hound registered with the Game Management Authority 

Pensioner discounts are available to people holding a valid concession card. Health care cards are not eligible.

Payment options for registering your pet are outlined on the registration form which is available to download on the link below.

At what age does my pet have to registered?
Cats and dogs must be registered from 3 months of age. 

When is pet registration due?
Pet registration renewals are due on 10 April every year. You will receive a registration renewal form by mail.

Can I make a payment for pet registration online?

Yes. Make a payment online

How do I register my pet for the first time?
Download and complete an Animal Registration Form(PDF, 62KB) and return it to Council along with a copy of your eligible pension concession card, if claiming a concession.

Alternatively you can visit any one of Council's offices, phone (03) 5772 0333 or email to arrange for a registration form to be posted to you.

How do I update or change my pets registration details?
You can complete this form if you need to change the details of a registered animal. Details that may need to be updated could include:

  • Updating your animal details e.g. desexing
  • Let us know your animal is deceased
  • Change of ownership within Murrindindi Shire
  • Cancelling registration as moving to other shire or Council

What if I choose not to register my pet(s)?
Failing to register your pet(s) will increase the risk of the animal being untraceable if lost. Fines apply for unregistered pets.

Animal Ownership

Residential land

Residential land/zone means land in any of the residential zones under the Murrindindi Planning Scheme or land characterised as such if the land is under 1 hectare in size.

Residents living on residential properties require council permission to keep the following animals:

  • more than 2 dogs
  • more than 2 cats
  • more than 10 chickens
  • more than 2 ducks, geese, pheasants or turkeys
  • more than 2 rabbits
  • more than 2 guinea pigs
  • more than 2 ferrets
  • more than 50 domestic birds
  • sheep, goats, horses, or cattle - unless the land is more than 0.5 hectares in size, in which case the number that may be kept without a permit is no more than 2
  • any pigs, roosters or peacocks

For any additional animals please complete this form. Additional Animal Permit Application (


Rural land

Residents living on rural properties require council permission to keep the following animals:

  • more than 5 dogs
  • more than 5 cats

Note: The above regulations do not apply where a planning permit has been obtained for land used for the purposes of animal boarding or breeding.

Restricted dog breeds and dangerous dogs

Ownership of a restricted breed dog or a dangerous dog requires a permit from Council. Permitted ownership is restricted to 2 dogs in total on any type of land. 


Keeping of Pigeons other than those registered with an organisation (i.e. Victorian Racing Pigeon Union; Victorian Homing Association and Victorian Pigeon Racing Association) is not permitted without a permit from council.

Further information

All queries regarding animal ownership should be directed to Council's Community Safety Unit by calling (03) 5772 0333.

Murrindindi Shire Council's Domestic Animal Management Plan 2021-2025 (DAMP)

Council's DAMP was developed to:

  • outline Council's proactive animal management and education strategies
  • increase pet owners' knowledge of responsible pet ownership and enhance community safety and awareness
  • balance pet owners' needs with those of other community members and the environment
  • maximise the number of dogs and cats registered in the Shire
  • help Council reduce the numbers of cats and dogs being euthanised

To read Council's DAMP 2021-2025, click here.

Useful links

Are you wanting to take your dog to a state forest or dedicated dog park in Victoria? Here are a couple of useful links:

Council's Community Local Law 2020

Forest Fire Management Victoria - Bring your dog

Victoria Walks - Dog Friendly Walks

Pet Friendly Days Out

Agriculture Victoria