Roads, Streets and Bridges

Road maintenance and management

Road maintenance

Council, VicRoads and other agencies share responsibility for a network of approximately 450km of sealed road and 700km of unsealed road within Murrindindi Shire.

Council is responsible for the roadside maintenance of VicRoads controlled roads within the 60km zones of townships. The level of maintenance is determined by the road classification and maintenance standards outlined in Council’s Road Management Plan(PDF, 2MB) (older version) and Register of Public Roads(PDF, 2MB).  

VicRoads is responsible for maintenance of the following roads and highways:   

  • Acheron Way
  • Broadford/Flowerdale Road
  • Buxton/Marysville Road 
  • Healesville/Kinglake Road
  • Heidelberg/Kinglake Road
  • Marysville Road
  • Marysville/Woods Point Road
  • Taggerty/Thornton Road
  • Whittlesea/Kinglake Road
  • Whittlesea/Yea Road
  • Goulburn Valley Highway
  • Maroondah Highway
  • Melba Highway

For enquiries regarding these roads contact VicRoads on 13 11 70 or visit

Council undertakes an annual program of re-sheeting and grading for gravel roads, re-sealing and line marking for sealed roads, and roadside slashing. Roadside slashing maintains line of sight, and visibility of guideposts and road signs. Certain roads are identified in the Municipal Fire Prevention Plan as fuel reduction corridors where fuel loads are reduced by roadside slashing or herbicide spraying.

To request maintenance on a council road please complete a customer request form.

Road Reserves - unused

Inquiries regarding the leasing or purchase of an unused road reserve should be directed to the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (formerly DEPI), Seymour office on 5735 4300.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (formerly DEPI) seek confirmation from council if the road is required for public traffic.  Council is then required to follow the process of Section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989 to advertise for submissions.  A report is presented to council for a decision to be made and the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning is notified of the outcome. They will then issue a licence to lease the unused road reserve or commence the process of sale of the unused road reserve - whichever is applicable.

Construction of an unused road reserve is at the expense of the property owner. Council requires written advice about why the unused road reserve is to be constructed, plus a plan of the road design.

If construction of the unused road reserve is for the property owner’s own access purposes, the access track needs to be constructed with approval from council engineers. Maintenance of an access track will remain the responsibility of the property owner.

If you wish to construct the unused road reserve to a standard for council to maintain, council’s engineers will set a minimum standard for construction and will require a design to be submitted for approval.

For further information regarding any of the above please contact Council's Infrastructure Assets Department on (03) 5772 0333.


Drainage and Stormwater

To apply for property information regarding stormwater discharge points and easement drain details:

  • download a copy of the legal point of discharge application form (DOCX, 214KB)
  • return the completed form, including any other supporting information with your payment to council via:
    • Post - Development Services, Murrindindi Shire Council, PO Box 138, Alexandra 3714
    • In person – to any one of council’s service centres at Alexandra, Yea or Kinglake

Allow up to 14 days for processing and for a copy of the council approved information to be returned to you.

To report a problem with stormwater, open drains and/or culverts please complete a customer request form

For further information contact Council's Development Services department on 5772 0333. 


Heavy Vehicle Access

Heavy Vehicle Access on Bridges

Many council maintained bridges feature signs displaying their appropriate carrying capacities. Some specify the weight limit in tonnes, and others are per axle group.

It is the responsibility of all drivers to know the axle loads of their vehicle. If you wish to access a bridge with a vehicle carrying over the posted load limit, you will require permission from council.

Your application should be in writing and include the following details: 

  • Vehicle specifications
  • Reason for needing access
  • Name and location of bridge

Forward your request to:

Manager Infrastructure Assets
Murrindindi Shire Council
PO Box 138
Alexandra 3714

Heavy Vehicle Access on Roads

Operators of semi trailers or B-Doubles who require a permit to access local roads are required to apply to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator. Application forms are available from their website . 


Street and Public Lighting

Council's Street and Public Lighting Installation Policy(PDF, 117KB) provides a framework for assessing the need for new street and public lighting installations.

Street lighting requests

Council is responsible for paying for the operation and maintenance costs for public lighting. Within main road and highway areas lighting costs are shared with VicRoads. Council has a role in approving all public lighting installations.

Reporting street lighting faults

All standard street lights within public roads are serviced by Ausnet Services and its contractors. If you wish to report a street light fault or outage in a public road, please contact Ausnet using their email

Please quote your National Metering Identifier shown on your bill, your name, address and the nature of the fault lighting in public places.

Please note some decorative lighting is owned and maintained by the Council. Any matters concerning decorative lights should be raised with the Council.

Requests for additional street lighting

If you believe additional lighting is required, you can make a request to Council and officers will assess the area and arrange the installation of additional lighting if required.

Requests can be made by reading the Street and Public Lighting Installation Policy(PDF, 117KB) and completing the application form on the last page. Forms should then be emailed to including details of the precise location and circumstances.

Complaints about street lighting

In circumstances where an adjoining owner considers that a public street light is causing a nuisance to particular property or persons, a request can be made for an assessment by Council.

Annoying street lighting may be resolved by measures such as moving or redirecting the light or installing a shield to the front or rear of the light. If such measures are agreed by Council, the costs for the works are to be paid by the person who has made the request.

Requests to address street lighting issues can be made by contacting Council’s Infrastructure Assets on: 5772 0333 or by email


Working in Road Reserves

To conduct works within a road reserve such as constructing a vehicle crossing or connecting to a council drain, you must first apply for council’s permission.

Public Service Contractors should use this form – Utility works within a road reserve(DOC, 460KB)

All other applicants are to use this form – Non utility works within a road reserve(DOC, 435KB)

Fees do apply and are outlined below:

  Works other than minor works Minor works
  On roadway, shoulder or pathway Not on roadway, shoulder or pathway On roadway, shoulder of pathway Not on roadway, shoulder or pathway
Other roads, speed over 50km/h $600.80 $327.60 $129.60 $83.60
Other roads, speed under 50km/h $327.60 $83.60 $129.60 $83.60

Examples of application fees:

  • Minor works not on roadway, shoulder, pathway   ($83.60)
    e.g. water tapping, sewer connection, drainage connection. 
  • Minor works (not affecting more than 8.5m2) on roadway, shoulder or pathway   ($83.60)
    e.g. driveway crossing, sewer, water, electrical, or telecommunication trenching works etc.
  • Works not on roadway, shoulder, pathway with road speed <50km/h   ($129.60)
    Sewer, water or electrical, or telecommunication trenching works etc. - (typically > 100m of trenching).
  • Works (affecting more than 8.5m2) on roadway, shoulder, pathway with road speed <50km/h  ($129.60)
    Crossing, Sewer, water or electrical, or telecommunication trenching works etc.
  • Works not on roadway, shoulder, pathway with road speed >50km/h  ($327.60)
    Crossing, Sewer, water or electrical, or telecommunication trenching works etc. - (typically > 100m of trenching).
  • Works (affecting more than 8.5m2) on roadway, shoulder, pathway with road speed > 50km/h  ($600.80)
    Sewer, water or electrical, or telecommunication trenching works etc