What is playgroup?
- a relaxed environment where mums, dads, grandparents, care givers, children and babies can meet, chat, play, read, sing songs, do craft and share a snack
- a fun time with lots of free play open to all pre-school children and their caregivers
- a spacious facility including three big play rooms and an outdoor play area with plenty of toys, games, books, outdoor equipment and craft materials
What can I expect at a session?
- there is no leader, everyone looks after their own child/children and arrives and leaves at whatever time best suits them during the session time
- you and your child choose where you want to play and you choose the toys you want to play with. If you’ve had enough of one activity, just move to another
- play, talk and interact with other adults and children
- each group can develop its own culture – organise a shared snack time, run a story time, do a group craft activity
What’s in it for our children?
- socialise and form friendships
- develop new skills and build confidence
- learn to share and cooperate
- participate in a range of activities including indoor and outdoor play, group snack time, music, singing, craft, puzzles, stories, painting, play dough and active play
What’s in it for me?
- spend time playing with your child away from the chores
- share a cuppa and have a chat with someone who understands
- develop a support network
- watch your child learn and thrive
- low cost and flexible
Do I have to pay?
Your first two sessions are free!!
After that we need everyone to pay so that we can maintain our insurance and cover our expenses. There are two parts to playgroup fees:
1. Playgroup Victoria membership covers our insurance ($40 per year)* AND
2. Alexandra Playgroup fees – choose between annual ($100), term ($30) or casual ($5 per session)*
* concession rates available for health care card holders
When is playgroup held and how do I join?
Sessions run every week during school terms. Show up at a listed time or contact Jo Steel on 0411 117 780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
There is also the opportunity to start your own group (Thursday is not available).
Which session is right for me and my children?
- discuss the profile of different groups with Jo (0411 117 780)
- join a group where you already know someone
- feel free to try out all the sessions and find which you are most comfortable with
- you are welcome to change between groups or come more than once a week
Where is the playgroup building?
The old Alexandra Hospital building, corner of Myrtle and Cooper Streets, Alexandra. Entry to playgroup is via the rear of the building (diagonally opposite the Myrtle Street Medical Clinic). Please park in the clinic car park on the side opposite the clinic. There are three car spaces directly outside the playgroup building, please make these available for families with the greatest need (ie. infants, multiple children, a disability).
Who can I contact for more information?
Jo Steel: 0411 117 780
Liz Patterson: 0427 612 120
(or search Alexandra Playgroup)
Old Alexandra Hospital,
Myrtle Street and Cooper Street,