Building works and permits


Obtaining a building permit ensures that

  • your building practitioners are registered and insured
  • your building works will have sufficient documentation that is independently reviewed
  • your building works will be adequately inspected
  • completed works are assessed as suitable for use or occupation

To enable your building permit application to be processed as quickly as possible it is important that you submit all the required information.

  • All permits must be submitted with the applicable building permit fees
  • For regular building works, click the button to download a Building Permit Application. This document also features a checklist of supporting documentation

Building Permit Application Form(PDF, 190KB)

Building Inspections

A building surveyor carries out inspections for all building works from the foundation stages through to completion. It is their responsibility to ensure that buildings are safe, accessible and energy efficient. 

It is the responsibility of the owner or builder to ensure that an appointment is made for a building inspection and that 48 hours notice is given.

Contact Council to arrange an inspection on (03) 5772 0333.

Occupancy Permits

An occupancy permit is issued when a Building Surveyor declares a building to be suitable to occupy. It is not a statement that all building works are necessarily complete.

Occupancy permits play an important role in establishing the commencement date for a builder's warranty and often, when the builder gets final payment.

An occupancy permit is not required for house alterations or minor building works where the suitability of a building to be occupied is not changed.

Applications for an occupancy permit should be made in writing to the Building Unit, Murrindindi Shire Council, PO Box 138, Alexandra 3714 and be accompanied by a copy of title or plan of subdivision.

Owner Builder

An owner builder is someone who constructs or renovates a domestic building on their property and is not a registered builder.

Owner builders must have a certificate of consent from the building practitioners board before a permit can be issued by a building surveyor to carry out domestic works over $16,000. This consent is your written approval to act as an owner builder within Victoria.

Owner builders can only carry out works on single dwellings on a single property, in any three-year period and are not permitted to construct units.

Further information for owner builders is available from the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127 or email

Building works out of hours

To conduct works out of hours you will require a permit. Contact Council on (03) 5772 0333.  

Building works over or within an easement

An easement is a right to use land owned by another party for a specific purpose. Drainage easements provide council with access to a property to repair drainage problems and perform on-going maintenance.

Consent from council is required to conduct works over or within an easement. Complete and submit an application to undertake works over an easement.(PDF, 130KB)

Asbestos Disposal

The use of asbestos is banned nationally. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fibre, mined from the earth and used extensively in building materials prior to 1985.

Trades people and home renovators are most at risk of exposure to asbestos fibres. Undertaking works using power tools, saws or sanding can cause the release of asbestos fibres into the air.

For information on current certified asbestos removalists and receival facilities, please contact the following agencies

Alexandra landfill is licensed to receive small quantities of asbestos from domestic sources by appointment only. Please contact Council’s Waste Unit on (03) 5772 0333 prior to delivery. Asbestos that is not packaged correctly will not be accepted.

Drainage and Stormwater

Click here to find information on drainage and stormwater.